Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Guest Post: Macey

In high school I was constantly up to date with everything going on in the news and entertainment world. I would read the paper at least once a week and I was constantly on facebook. Needless to say I was very up to date on current events and I was constantly surrounded by electronic media. Since I have come to college my contact with television, and the newspaper has dwindled. My room mates and I never turn our television on and I have not picked up a paper once since I have been here. I went from knowing everything about current events to not even being able to tell you one thing about what was going on outside of campus. For example the only reason I knew an earthquake had destroyed Japan was because I saw someone post about it on Facebook. I began to think that media was only limited to technology, and since the only thing I was using that was electronic was my lap top, to do homework and facebook, I felt as if I was no longer surrounded by media. As a result of this class however, and my intro to mass comm class, I have learned that media is literally everywhere we go. We are constantly around it even if you do not watch even five minutes of television. There are advertisements telling you where to be or who to vote for on the sidewalk you are walking on. There are posters on every wall, window or light pole you pass by. The examples could go on and on! We are constantly surrounded by media and we do not even realize it!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with this statement here sometimes we limit to television and labtops to our main source of media. However, there are so many different sources of electronic media its crazy! We are surrounded with media wherever we go, and we can always look around and keep up to date with the latest news on campus and off. Are sources of news and media continue to grow everyday just have to look around. The power of media and technology is an amazing thing Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea that sidewalk chalk is a form of media! I had never seen that before coming to OU and thought it was strange. But thinking about as media changes my perception a bit--and makes it seem more important. Are the chalk notices as effective as facebook announcements, though? Or do they act on us in a different way because we physically encounter them, get chalk dust on our shoes, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree- if it weren't for Facebook or the occasional channel surfing, I would have no idea what was going on in the world. It is crazy to think that people 50 or 100 years ago could even function- truly! A friend said just the other day, as we were using the GPS on her cell phone to get directions somewhere, "How did people get ANYWHERE back then?"

    I have to think that word of mouth was crucial when there weren't things like television or even the newspaper. Now that we don't have to rely on that kind of communication, we don't personally talk to others as much anymore- for news and opinions, we have our phones and laptops, instead of other people. This makes me realize that the AMOUNT of communication has probably not changed since the early 1900's, but rather just the forms in which we do the communication and the level on which we do it (companies and brands to mass audiences, instead of person to person).

    ReplyDelete