Thursday, April 21, 2011

Guest Post by Colin: Keeping up with Social Networks

Have people taken social networks too far? I ask this question because with so many social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr etc., people ridicule those who spend all their time on these sites instead of doing something productive. I can honestly say that I do spend a lot of time on Facebook just like many of my friends. All of these websites are included in the term new media, and I am not sure if that is a bad thing or not. Is it strange that I have constant radar on my friends through Facebook, or that I can see where my friends are at all times? Has it brought people closer together or just made us bounded to our computer at all times? 

This video (http://youtu.be/zSP8xm_gaK4)  makes fun of people that are constantly on these types of websites, and they are called “New Media Douchebags” (it is a little offensive). It seems that if you are not part of certain social networks that you are missing out on something, but do people like “New Media Douchebags” who are constantly on these sites take it too far? I’m all for new advancements in new media, but is this the direction that it should be taking with websites like Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr. These websites are great for keeping in contact with old friends, or getting an idea out there, and even sharing information but it seems that those are the minor uses for these websites. If you are not tweeting or poking someone on Facebook or liking someone’s status you might be behind on the new media spectrum, but then again you might get called a “New Media Douchebag”.

5 comments:

  1. There's definitely a fine balance to keep. As you said this new media is good for staying in contact with old friends but it seems that more and more people are becoming consumed by it. I regurlarly see the play by of people's emotional state via Facebook status updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best part of the video is at the end. "What? He can't be bothered to return your phone call!" People have become so overwhelmed with new media that they no longer are communicating. I think most of the general public in 2011 can fall under the term "New Media Douchebag" But Marquis said it right in that there is a balance to keep, its just not being kept by most.

    -Ryan Gerbosi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed watching the video. There is a healthy balance between the two. I personally have both Facebook and twitter. However, I do not spend much time on either one. I find it pointless to spend endless hours looking at other people. I would much rather spend time with someone in person. The great thing about both of these social networks however, is you can communicate with people who live on the other side of the world. If you can maintain a healthy balance between using Facebook and making good use of your time then you should be just fine.
    -Austin Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am almost constantly on Facebook and recently got a twitter. I wrote my research paper on this topic and I still stand by this, it is fine to enjoy websites such as these BUT we have got to find a happy medium. Too much of anything is bad. I think its great to want to keep in contact with friends but when you are spending more time communicating with them online and not making time for them in person... thats when we start creating a problem. - Macey Flowers
    I also found the video pretty hysterical

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to me that the video emphasized "Hate"--it's not just about constantly updating your status or staying in touch, but about complaining. It seems a shame that our new ways of staying up to date and in touch result in criticizing, complaining, or participating in polarizing politics (I think that was the point about O'Reilly!).

    ReplyDelete