Monday, May 2, 2011

Guest Post: Ryan

future of media
In my procrastination of final studying, I stumbled upon this image from futureofmediaevents.com. When I look at this map, it alarms me for a few reasons. Firstly, I had always dreamed of working at a newspaper when I grew up. I currently work at The Oklahoma Daily and I get a rush when I see my name in print once or twice a week. Now, I just hope that there will be print by the time I start my professional career.

In this course we have discussed how media have changed throughout centuries. In the first unit we discussed Plato and his critique of writing. While Plato was critical of writing, I don’t think that many people have been very critical of new media as a whole. New media have been embraced so quickly and thoroughly that we are completely abandoning the way we previously conducted ourselves. I am as guilty, if not more than, anyone. I used to rush outside to get my local paper each morning. Now, I sluggishly move to my laptop and check my RSS feed.

The main thing that alarms me when I look at this map is the speed at which new media have been taking over. Writing took centuries to catch on. Some people today still can’t read or write. New media, however, have only taken a few decades to make their mark. If newspapers will be gone by around 2040, what else may we lose in such a short time?

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. The further we move into the future the more things become obsolete. Things are changing around us all the time. Soon things we use everyday will be replaced by things that are faster and more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I can relate to this. It's so much easier to pull up a website for news rather than deal with rummaging through the huge newspapers of today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such an awesome question to think about. It is also scary to think about because there is no telling what we might lose. It is so easy to just want to look things up on the internet because its so fast. You don't have to skim through the pages of the newspaper trying to find the topics that interest you. You simply search for the news you need and in seconds its at your fingertips online. If someone like Ryan, who wants a career in newspaper, is even making this a habit, there is no telling whether or not print will still be in business by the time we are able to go out in the real world and get jobs! - Macey Flowers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I completely agree where you are coming from, but one of my really good friends works for the Oklahoma Daily. Getting printed to me is overrated. Yes it is really cool to have your article printed on a formal newspaper with your name at the bottom of the article and that looks really official and old school. But in the modern era, you should get the same satisfaction by seeing your article on the schools website where you can electronically view the Oklahoma Daily. Sure the printed newspaper may be completely extinct by 2040, but there is no way that the electronic media will be extinct by 2040.
    Patrick Carver

    ReplyDelete
  5. The issue is what kind of reading do we really do online? If newspapers get read thoroughly and are still responsible for high quality investigation and good, objective writing, it won't matter whether we get them online or on the doorstep. It might also be important to remember that colonial America had an extraordinarily high number of newspapers in the eighteenth century--just before the American Revolution. Connection?

    ReplyDelete